Pages

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

June 9 - Wednesday

Started the morning on Central time in Mt Vernon, Illinois. There was lightning and thunder at 5 am. Went to the motel breakfast at 5:30 am. Had a nice breakfast of sausage gravy and hot biscuits!! The only other people at breakfast at that time was a couple from Dallas, TX.

 As usual the discussion starts with "Where are you heading on the motorcycle?" He had served in the Army in Alaska before it was a state. I told him I was from Richmond, VA and he replied that he was born and raised in West Virginia and was heading back there for a family reunion. He was Bob Cutlip and was born just a few miles from me in Webster County (Diana, WV). (BTW, he was older than me by about 15 years!!) The Cutlip reunion is being held this weekend at Holly River State Park. A real coincidence! I really like these kinds of "encounters" on the road. Interesting folks and coincidences! After breakfast the weather looked good west and north so I headed out. Did 709 miles today and make it to Sioux Falls, SD. Beautiful weather all the way. Hit 92 degrees in Iowa and South Dakota. Great riding weather. No traffic problems today and just "sailed" through St. Louis and Kansas City!! Crossed the Missouri River three times today. I know I will cross it again tomorrow.That is a long winding river! Had a great South Dakota country dinner tonight at a little local restaurant beside the motel. (My waiter's name was Chase!).

That's about it for tonight. On to the Black Hills tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment