Pages

Saturday, June 26, 2010

June 25 - Friday

Had a 449 mile drive down the Alaska Highway to Muncho Lake, BC. It was raining in Whitehorse when I departed so the rainsuit was on. I left it on all the way but it never rained again!! Had a great breakfast at the Teslin restaurant and met a couple of riders from Seattle. Also, met several nice folks at roadside stops. Interesting, I would stop by myself and then a RV would stop and the folks would get out and ask where I was from and so on, then they would get back in their RV and take off. It was kinda fun! One couple from Saskatchewan mentioned they had just stopped at a roadside place and had the greatest slice of rhubarb pie they had ever tasted! Wow, I had to know where that place was. It was only about 10 more miles down the highway so I stopped and they were right!! They even had the rhubarb plants growing beside the restaurant. (Reference to today's photos!)



Met a couple from Switzerland at the restaurant. They had shipped their BMWs over to Anchorage and were riding to Calgary where they were to put their bikes in storage for a return trip in 2011 to ride on to the US! (That had to be expensive!) Did see another black bear and got some nice pictures as it walked right beside me.

Stayed at the Northern Rockies Lodge again. A bicycle rider from Germany was in the room next to me. He was riding from Whitehorse to Calgary on a vacation trip by himself. He worked in a telecommunications business call center in Germany. Met another couple from North Carolina at the lodge. He was a retired lawyer. He and his wife had moved from Kentucky to Pine Knoll Shores, NC when he retired. This was their 50th wedding anniversary so they decided to drive together to Alaska. I didn't ask, but they had to be at least 70 years old, based on their looks and the 50th anniversary!! I hope they make it! Anyway, another great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment