Pages

Thursday, June 24, 2010

June 22 - Tuesday

Well, this was the day for the famous Dalton Highway and the Arctic Circle. Wasn't sure I was going to make it, BUT I DID!!!! This was the most challenging & grueling motorcycle ride I have ever done. It was 410 miles round trip and took me 11 hours. Glad I did it, but I don't plan to ever do it again!!! It was over 100 miles of mud, dirt, gravel, rocks, ruts, humps, sways, you name it! The "paved" sections was real stretch to even call it paved! This and constantly watching in  front and the mirrors for the huge trucks coming up behind you and toward you! (these trucks are not your normal eighteen wheelers either, that have at least 30 wheels!!!!) Hugh tanker trucks spraying water mixed with calcium chloride all over the road, which made a soupy, slimy mess up to 6 inches thick!! Get the picture? (You can see the pics of my motorcycle covered in all the mud!!)

I got to the Arctic Circle and there was not a single person there! I had to set up my short tripod to take my pic. After that two guys from the University of Alaska at Fairbanks came by and took a better picture of me! Made it back to the gold mining lodge for another night. Had a great dinner of fresh Alaskan halibut!! I was very tired from the trip, actually exhausted!!


No comments:

Post a Comment