Pages

Saturday, June 26, 2010

June 26 - Saturday

On down the Alaska Highway for 488 miles today IN THE RAIN and FOG!

 It never rained real hard just pretty steady until this afternoon. Really used the rainsuit and heated gear today! Did see my first elk, although they were small and I got their picture. Stopped at the Toad River Lodge for coffee.


This is another unique place (every place on the Alaska Highway is unique and that is one of the things that makes it interesting!!) They have over 7,000 hats that people have given them since 1950. Pretty cool! Did see two more black bear and one was standing on its hind legs! I was going 70 mph, it was raining and I just knew it would be down on all fours by the time I turned around, so NO picture (except for the one in my head and I like that one!!). I gassed up just north of Fort St. John and saw some blue sky to the west, so I headed down RT 29.

 This was a beautiful road down the Peace River valley and a nice curvy motorcycle road too. The sun came out, the rain clouds went away and it warmed up to around 80! Off came the rain suit and heated gear! I ended up in the town of Chetwynd, BC. This is a tmber/wood manufacturing town. It is also home of the international chainsaw wood sculpturing contest!! Took a walk downtown and there was a great display walk with many of the sculptures.


It was really interesting. Got photos of many of them posted. On to Prince George, Jasper and Banf National Parks tomorrow. (Note that I have rode 8,001 miles now on the trip)


No comments:

Post a Comment