Pages

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Day 8 (Saturday, August 6) - Grand Junction, CO to Cortez, CO - 262 miles

Well, today was on of those "it don't get any better than this" kind of motorcycle riding days. Beautiful skies, great temperatures, great roads and beautiful scenery!! Started off around 58 degrees this morning. Had a great breakfast at the motel in Grand Junction and headed for Colorado National Monument (I wonder what the difference is between a National Monument and a National Park. I gotta look that up as I cannot tell the difference!!).


Colorado National Monument was a great ride on the 23 mile Rim Rock Drive. Nice curves, tunnels, trails & overlooks were abundant. Not many people there today which was surprising for a weekend. More bicycles than cars. I never saw another motorcycle in the park!! That was a real surprise. I guess maybe the "park" is not that well known, but, in any case, it was a pleasant surprise for me and I highly recommend it!



I headed on south to pick up the western half of the San Juan Skyway from Ridgeway to Cortez. This was a really nice ride!! I had done the eastern half in 2009 from Durango to Ouray.

Visited the town of Telluride. The Rocky Mountains are a beautiful "backdrop" to the town. Also crossed Lizard Head Pass at 10,222 feet. One of the more interesting named passes in Colorado!!



Made it to Cortez, CO for the night. Neat little motel I found on tripadvisor, Tomahawk Lodge. The man and women have owned and run the motel for many years. They have two 8 year old great danes!! Here is one of the that greeted me in the lobby! His name is Harley!!




Had dinner at a nice local restaurant in Cortez (recommended by the motel owner), Pepperheads (and they only serve draft beer!!).

Got several motorcycles here at the motel tonight. From California and New Mexico. The two from New Mexico are carrying three poodle dogs with them on a carrier on their tour pack!

I plan to be at the North rim of the Grand Canyon tomorrow evening. I just checked on line and a single room came open at the North Rim Grand Canyon lodge for tomorrow night only and I got it! Only bad thing is no wireless internet access at the lodge so this will be my only posting until Monday evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment