Pages

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Day 5 (Wednesday, August 3) - Dodge City, Kansas to Canon City, Colorado - 336 miles

What a difference a day makes in the weather!! It was raining when I got up this morning in Dodge City and the temps were around 70 degrees. I ended up just eating breakfast at the hotel (raisin bran, OJ, lots of coffee and one pastry!!), so that was probably better for me anyway.



I rode around and visited the sites (including the local Harley shop!) in Dodge City and then began the long trek west on US 50 all the way to Canon City, Colorado. Not much to see, just a 65 mph two lane road with lots of cattle feed lots along the way!!! It did start raining on me again in Garden City, Kansas and I had to stop and put on the rainsuit. It actually felt pretty good as the temps were staying in the mid 70's. I realized that was about 40 degrees cooler than the day before!!

I made it to Colorado and had to take the customary picture of the state sign. I have always thought that Colorado could have done a better job of designing a state entrance sign than this one. The word "Colorful" just doesn't do much for me!

Also, this was an interesting old abandoned building at the state line. I had to wonder what it's history was.





Somewhere in western Kansas or eastern Colorado, I got hit by a BIG insect on the windshield. It stuck there all the was to Canon City!!







After checking into a hotel in Canon City, I rode the Skyline Drive in Canon City. That was a really neat ride and was very exciting. One of the more challenging 3 miles of road I have ever traveled on my motorcycle. From the pictures you can see why as it was very narrow, no guard rails and beautiful scenery. One "bad" thing about a motorcycle is that your motorcycle will go in the direction you are looking, so it was hard to keep my eyes on the road and not look at the beautiful scenery!



Got back to the hotel just before another rain and saw a beautiful rainbow!






This was clothes washing night so I had a sub and a Fat Tire beer(s) for dinner. It was really good!!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome trip, i like the way you speak about the trip and how you describe it, i'm looking forward to see other pictures.
    Good luck and ride safe.
    Alex from Romania (eastern europe)
    P.S I'm sorry if my english is bad :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice........................ .................. ..............

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim's motorcycle trip day 5 from Dodge City, Kansas to Canon City, Colorado is a thrilling adventure through the beautiful landscape of the American West...With detailed descriptions of the ride and stunning photos of the scenery, this blog post is a must-read for any motorcycle enthusiast looking to explore the open road.... motorcycle windshields universal

    ReplyDelete