Pages

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Day 14 (Friday, August 12) - Murphy, NC to Leland, NC - 443 miles

Left Murphy, NC under sunny skies and headed down US 64. After a few miles it turned into a very twisty, nice motorcycle road (lots of 15 mph curves!). I did stop at Bridal Veil Falls and parked my motorcycle behind the falls for a picture! Uneventful for most of the rest of the day, just traveling US 74 and pounding out the miles heading to Wilmington, NC. Around Lumberton, NC the skies turned very dark. I turned the NWS radio on and the forecast was heavy rain, hail & lightning for most of SE North Carolina. I donned the rainsuit under an overpass and headed on. I ended up in rain about as heavy as I experienced in Newfoundland Canada a few years ago. It rained so hard that everyone (the crazy ones still on the road and didn't stay under an overpass!) dropped down to about 35 mph with flashers on! It slacked up after a few miles, but rained off and on for the last 50 miles. I will head on to Richmond, VA on Sunday and will do a final entry on the trip for that day and summarize the highlights of the trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment