Pages

Monday, August 8, 2011

Day 10 (Monday, August 8) - North Rim Grand Canyon to Gallup, NM - 401 miles

WOW, does it get COLD at the North Rim in the summer time. It hit 39 degrees on my bike thermometer riding up to Cape Royal. I didn't mind the cold as it didn't last long and the ride was so nice. As the park ranger noted, I never met a single car going up. I was the only vehicle in the huge parking lot at Cape Royal and was standing by myself on Angel's Window.


This is probably the most intimidating of all the trails and viewpoints at the Grand Canyon (that says a lot as they all are to a great deal!). The walk out on the Angel's Window peninsula is very narrow and drops straight down. It was really neat to be there all alone! I was there about an hour and headed back. I passed 4-5 cars coming up then. I got back to the lodge. Made another pot of coffee and packed things up. Checked the oil and tire pressure on the motorcycle too. Didn't want any unforeseen problems coming out of the North Rim!! The ride back to Jacob's Lake was just as nice as the ride in. All the forest, curves and vast meadows. Did see a dead bison that had been hit by a car either during the night or early morning. The car had already been removed. Lots of park rangers there and the big dead bull bison laying on the side of the road. I hope no people got hurt but I am sure at least the car didn't fair too well with that large of a bison. Ran into road work (painting lines!) on the road back down off the mountain. Met a couple from Flagstaff on a Harley. They had ridden up to the North Rim for the day and were heading back. They knew the road and I asked if I could follow. That really helped with the curves and I made better time coming off the mountain (and it was more fun!!)


We parted ways at the Lee's Landing turnoff as I wanted to visit there and actually touch the Colorado River water, which I did!! Rest of the trip was uneventfull coming down route 264 to Gallup, NM. Staying at a motel on old US Rt 66. I didn't even know that Rt 66 went through Gallup. Interesting as I was on Rt 66 in Missouri and Kansas for a while last week. Tomorrow I will be heading into Texas and began my turn south to hit Lousiana the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment