Pages

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

2011 "Out West" Trip Summary, Stats, Highlights, Notes

Actual Completed Route

Actual Trip Elevation Profile
  • 15 days "on the road"
  • 5,863 total miles of riding, 391 miles average per day
  • 626 miles - most on one day, 130 miles - least on one day
  • Maximum air temperature was 113 (117 on my bike thermometer!) degrees in Medicine Lodge, KS and lowest air temperature was 39 degrees at North Rim Grand Canyon
  • NO problems with motorcycle - ran perfectly, as expected!!
  • One engine oil change at Landers Toad Suck HD shop in Conway, Arkansas
  • New Dunlop Elite 3 tires did great. Nice ride! Have 7/32" tread remaining (started at 11/32"), so mileage is looking great too!
  • Gas mileage: Got over 50 mpg when I was running through the parks and 55 mph roads. Got 45 mpg running on the open 2 lane highways at 65 mph. Got in upper 30's on the wide open interstates at 75-80 mph with a headwind.
  •  Wore the "Columbia fishing shirt" the entire trip. Loved it. Even in the heat of Kansas, it felt good to have the long sleeve shirt covering my arms. Plan to wear this kind of long sleeve shirt on all my future long trips
  • Don't plan to stay in Dodge City, Kansas again during "Dodge City Days" unless I have a room reservation!
  • I recommend for lodging the Parkview Inn in Canon City, Colorado and the Best Western Mark Motor Hotel in Weatherford, Oklahoma. The two best places I stayed overnight.
  • Great breakfast places were Bufmack's Cafe in Canon City, CO - Barry's Den in Texas Creek, CO - Abe's Grill in Corinth, Mississippi
  • Wore the back brace (http://www.backaline.com/shop/black-leather-back-support/) the entire trip. On my Alaska trip last year I had sciatic leg pain. No problem this year!! I plan to always wear this on my trips in the future.
  • The North Rim of the Grand Canyon is much better (especially for motorcycle riding) than the South Rim.
  • Some great motorcycle roads in Southern Missouri (Route 160 and Route 14)
  • Future motorcycle trips I plan to take: Natchez Trace Parkway, Route 66 from Chicago to LA and USA 4 Corners Tour (http://www.usa4corners.org/)

No comments:

Post a Comment