Pages

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

2012 Trip "Out West" - Tue, Day 4 (Newton, KS to Trinidad, CO)

Well I made it to Colorado!! I am so happy to be through Kansas one more time! I said to myself as I was crossing the border into Colorado, I do not ever want to ride a motorcycle or car through Kansas again in my life!! I think I have said that to myself before, but I am going to try and honor it this time. I am sorry, but there isn't much to see in Kansas!! The people that I met were all so very nice, so it's not the people, it is HOT, DRY, WINDY, FLAT, BROWN, FEED LOTS, STOCK TRUCKS (get the idea????). Anyway, let's see in the future if I ride again in Kansas!

Here is an example. Saw this advertised on US 50 so I though what the heck, I need a break. This is supposed to  be the world's largest hand dug well. Also it is one of the "8 Wonders of Kansas". They actually had a nice sign inside saying this. I though it was so funny. It was a really nice building that had been built around the "Big Well" (you know I had to wonder if that building was built using some kind of federal grant money paid for by our tax dollars!!! What do you think?? The icing on the cake was when the lady at the counter inside the building told me it cost $8 to go further to actually view the "Big Well". Thats when I knew my break was over and it was time to leave. I don't care, I ain't gonna pay $8 of my money to see a Big Well!!!

On to the next stop which was M. T. Liggetts Political Sculptures on his farm next to US 400 (I did deviate again off of US 50 onto US 400 for a few miles. This guy really takes this stuff serious and has put a lot of energy and time into it. It makes you realize for this to exist is really the heart of the USA!!!! There are at least hundreds of these metal sculptures all over the fields, probably 20 acres! It is a site to behold!



I also had to stop at Dodge City Harley Davidson, again to cool off and get something to drink. They had just moved into a new building next door to the old one. The owner came out and greeted me and we ended up talking for at least 30 minutes. He told me all the things Harley was making him do from the sign to the wall mounts and counters. He was not happy with how much he was having to pay Harley for all the stuff either!! It doesn't seem like corporate Harley has a very good relationship with their dealers. It seems to be strictly business with very little relationship. That s not what most customers want, like their dealers. Anyway, the owner was very nice. He got out a map and showed me several routes that he has taken into Colorado. He even offered to have his shop "look my bike over" since I was going into a very sparsely populated area. That was when we started talking about my trip to Alaska!!! But he did insist that I talk to his service manager about the voltage regulator problem. Even though I told him I already had mine replaced, he wanted  it checked anyway!! Anyway, just great customer service!! (BTW, the service manager looked at my voltage regulator and certified it as one of the good ones!

Have I mentioned the WIND in Kansas yet. It was really something. I guess it was blowing around 20-25 mph out of the south west. I felt like I was riding at a 45 degree angle against the side wind all day. That would have been OK if I didn't have grain silos or stock trucks passing by. Ever time I would pass a grain silos (and there are a lot of them in Kansas), it would break the wind for about a sec and then start back up. When I wasn't passing a grain silo a stock truck would pass me and do the same thing to the wind. Needless to say it was a real physical work out to the arms and shoulders. When I crossed over into Colorado the wind even stopped!! Did I mention before how glad I was to get out of Kansas!!

Anyway made it 468 hot windy miles today and got to Trinidad, CO. Had a great meal at a Mexican restaurant next to the hotel. The hotel upgraded my room to a suite also. I almost got lost in the room several time last night!! I ever parallel parked my bike right in front of my door!









No comments:

Post a Comment