Pages

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Florida!!

The 2012 riding season really felt like it started today with the warm temps, full day on the road and talking with other bikers.

Left Wilmington around 8 am and it was only 42 degrees, so all the heated gear was back on and turned all the way up! Decided to ride all the way down US 17 to the Georgia line.

Really felt like summer is a coming when a convertible pulled next to me at a stop north of Charleston and put their top down! That told me maybe it was time to think about shedding the heated gear!!




The temps really came up heading into Charleston, SC. Got into the mid 70's and had some road construction and traffic, so it was a little slow going. Had to pull off and gas up anyway, so took the opportunity to take all the heated gear off. Now that really feels good!! Just a beautiful day with partly cloudy skies and lots of sunshine. Didn't hit any other traffic other than in Charleston (and that wasn't that bad).

Passed a lot of bike trailers coming down from the north to bike week on I95. Make it to St. Augustine, FL for the night at a local Best Western. I got a nice parking space under the hotel canopy next to the palm trees!


Tried Sonny's BBQ for dinner. It is really good BBQ. I had the pulled pork platter.

If you are ever in Florida and like BBQ, you ought to try it. The place was crowded with a lot of locals, so it must be good! I might have to try it again while I am down here and have the BBQ with the famous Sonny's Red Ale this time (you can read about it on their website)!!

I just got back in my room from talking with a "neighbor" here are the hotel. A couple from the eastern panhandle of West Virginia. He is a retired State Trooper and they have been coming down to Daytona for 10 years. He has his 2008 Ultra in the back of his pickup truck and only have a little over 4,000 miles on it. We spent a little time talking about my travels and my 75,000 miles I now have on my 2007.

I am looking forward to cruising around Daytona tomorrow. The local Harley dealer here in St Augustine has closed the shop. They are still open for a clearance sale with 35% off everything. They are only open from 10 am to 4 pm. I might have to wait around a while in the morning to go by the shop and see what they have left for 35% off! I am sure the rest of the stuff will go fast next week with bike week. They seemed to still have a lot of stuff in the shop (I had to peer through the windows, aka "window shopping"). At least I may pick up a souvenir "St. Augustine Harley" Tshirt!

No comments:

Post a Comment