Pages

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Day 2 (Sunday, July 31)- Spencer, WV to Paducah, KY - 514 miles

Pretty uneventful day of riding the interstate slab!! More fun riding the sweeping/mountainous interstates of West Virginia than Kentucky! The further west I went the hotter it got and a few rain showers too. These were the type of rain shower where you can see the lighter sky up ahead, so I just kept going and would run out of each after a few miles. Just not worth it to stop and put the rain suit on! Felt good to get a little wet from the rain and then dry out in the heat from the sun! Made it to Paducah, Kentucky. Since it was so hot, I found myself thinking how nice it would be to have a cold beer when I got to my hotel. So after I checked in I ran over to a convenience store that even had a "Beer Cave" (boy was I excited!), BUT on the door was a big sign that read "No beer sales on Sunday". WOW, what a disappointment! I am sure someone thinks otherwise, BUT I just do not understand government laws that rule me as to when I can purchase something like a beer. I guess having laws from politicians like that helps me understand how we can be in such a mess with the current debt crisis! OK, don't want to get on that subject, back to the motorcycle trip!!

National Quilters Museum
So instead of sitting back in my hotel room drinking a beer, I took off on a self guided tour of downtown Paducah! Let me tell you, you just haven't lived until you have toured downtown Paducah!! Seriously, it is a neat little town on the Ohio river near where the Ohio meets the Mississippi river. Also, the National Quilt Museum is in Paducah. When I arrived at my hotel room, my "next door neighbor" came out and introduced himself. He and his wife are from San Antonio, TX and they came here for the wife to attend a quilting class at the museum for several days this week. He was playing golf! I had to go by and take a few pictures and pick up the museum brochures for my wife as she is a quilter too (looks like I may have to make another trip in the future with the wife back to Paducah too!!). There is a flood wall around Paducah to protect it from the Ohio river. Since the floodwall gates were all open, you could drive thru the floodwall and along the river. The river was very beautiful today.
Ohio River
Old stream train - Downtown Paducah

Well that is pretty much it for today. Tomorrow will be on to Nixa, MO. I plan to ride all the two lane scenic routes in southern Missouri so it should be a fun ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment