Pages

Saturday, August 4, 2012

2012 Trip "Out West" - Thu-Sat, Day 13-15 (Grand Island, NE to HOME)

Well the last three days were heading back across the Mississippi to HOME over about 1,400 miles. Played a lot of mp3 songs along the way to pass the time. One of my favorites!! Roll Me Away

Not a lot to see or do coming back, especially when you are ready to get home. It is just pounding out the miles. Except for stopping at Harley Davidson shops and seeing a crop dusting airplane in the corn fields of eastern Nebraska from a rest stop. Looked like they were having a lot of fun!!



Stopped at Lincoln Harley Davidson. This was a really nice shop with a "frontier" theme. They even had a motorcycle museum upstairs and lots of ole western stuff out front.





Not sure what year Harley this was in their upstairs museum, but it had an 8 track tape player on the dash!!

This was the "Harley" dog in the shop.

On Thursday I made it to Hannibal, MO. I don't like to ride through Kansas City or St. Louis so I headed down I-29 out of Nebraska to St. Joseph, MO and took US 36 across Missouri to Hannibal. Got there late in the day and had to go to several motels to find one. Grabbed a quick bite to eat and when to bed!

Got up around 4 am on Friday morning and headed out in the dark!! Rode for about an hour before sunrise. No traffic and it was nice to get some miles in early heading home. Stopped at a Harley dealer in Effingham, Illinois. They had a neat shop that was like a barn both inside and outside. Friendly folks too!

Made it to Shelbyville, KY. Stopped at the Kentucky welcome center and looked at radar. It was raining pretty good in the Lexington area. I had planned to make it to Lexington for the night. Decided to stop at Shelbyville. Tried the Best Western first but they were booked up. They recommended the Country Hearth Inn across the street. This was a nice place and about $20 cheaper than the Best Western. The guy even went out of his way to tell me he was giving me a room that I could see my motorcycle from!

The view of my bike out my room window!! Perfect!!

This bike was parked at the motel across the street from where I was staying. It had North Carolina license and the new Michelin Commander II tires. Really wanted to talk to the folks on it as to where they were from and heading to, but never did see anyone around the bike. The next morning they had left before I did!! There were three guys from Hampton Roads, Virginia that had arrived at the same hotel I was at late the night before. They were headed to Sturgis. One of them had been there before and the other two had not. I have to wonder how they did. I talked to each one of them individually and they were all complaining to me about the other two already and they were only into the trip by one day!!!!!

When I got up Saturday morning the stars were out. I packed up my motorcycle and had coffee and breakfast at the motel. Just about dawn the bottom fell out of the sky and it poured the rain. I had to run outside and grab my helmet off my motorcycle to keep it from filling up with rain! It looked like spots of rain all over the place so I put my rain suit on for the first time on this entire trip. After I left, it stopped raining, but I just left the rain suit on. I needed it again at the state line between West Virginia and Virginia as I ran into pretty intense rain for several miles. After that I had to take my jacket off as it got hot and muggy! Make it HOME around 5:30 pm after around 550 miles on Saturday!

Total trip was 15 days and 5,500 miles!! A GREAT trip!!!!

The end of the 2012 "Out West" trip "But The Road Goes On Forever!"


No comments:

Post a Comment